Tuesday, November 6, 2012

You Can't Fix What Isn't Broken

"We don't understand why you don't trust us. Please, help us understand," the doctor said.

"I don't trust you because you keep trying to fix something that isn't broken. I appreciate that you are wanting to help, but you are no where near where the problems are and you keep trying to fix something that just part of my personality. I shut myself away sometimes not because I'm broken but because I need to recharge myself. I don't get energy from being around people, I get it from being alone," the patient said. "And for the most part, the things that are broken are things you cannot fix because you weren't who broke them."

"But we want to make you whole again," the doctor said, trying desperately to fix this problem too.

"You can't. Sometimes things can only be fixed by the person that broke them. And sometimes the person that broke them aren't able to fix them because they are too broken themselves. Please stop trying to fix things you can't. Just let me be," the patient said, hoping that this time the words would be understood.

"We don't know how to let you be," the doctor admitted.

"And that is why I must go. Because you try to fix things that aren't broken and don't know how to let me be so I can fix what I can myself," the patient said. "Good bye."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to writeworld.tumblr.com for the prompt "We don't understand why you don't trust us." This has been surprisingly cathartic to write.

No comments: