Sunday, April 11, 2010

To My Children, Who I'm Still Waiting On

Dear Baby,

Hello! This is your mother. I don't know anything about you yet, other than that I love you. I have been waiting for you, and my wait hasn't ended yet.

I am looking forward to meeting you. I will probably count your little fingers ans toes multiple times. I plan on giving you a lot of love and affection.

I cannot promise you that I will be perfect. But I can promise to always love and support you. I promise to raise you to know your strengths and your weaknesses. I promise that my praise will not be empty and meaningless. I promise that I will always love you, even if I don't always agree with you. I promise that I will be willing to listen any time you have anything to say, important or not, because you are important to me.

I will always remember my wait and how big a blessing you are. I will remind myself that getting things done isn't my life's goal, so slowing down to your speed is important. Life already moves too quickly.

While I may complain about your less desirable behavior, I'll also praise your good behavior. I'll teach you the important things, like reading and math, the fun things, like swimming, and, most importantly, how to learn.

I look forward to showing you the world. I also look forward to you teaching me about slowing down and living in the moment.

Until we meet, I'll be waiting for you.

Love,
Mom

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I'm pregnant or not, I'm waiting to find out. But I find myself wanting to start communicating with my children either way. I don't think it's too early to start thinking about what things are important to instill into my kids. And it's important for me to know what things I want my kids to know for all their lives.

No comments: