Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Don't Even Ask Anymore

Last Monday night/early Tuesday morning, I did laundry. When I went to move the clothes to the dryer, I found out that the washer had leaked. Of course, I found out the way I always seem to find out something is leaking, by stepping in the water and getting my foot wet (I really don't like my feet being wet, so I notice it right away).

I went to get Ace to check and make sure I wasn't going crazy (and to clean the water, because bending makes my back unhappy). He cleaned up the water and then went to tell his mom that the washer was leaking. I moved clothes to the dryer and tried not to think about it too much.

The next day, after my father-in-law came home, he was told about the washer and called up Sears (because they have a policy that Sears has to come out and fix things, but they will fix them for free, and will even order new parts for free, which is nice as long as you aren't in a hurry about having things like a fully fixed washer). It turns out that there is a small hole in the bottom of the washer that was letting a little bit of water out. The washer was bought in 1986 and they stopped making it in 1987. Since the warranty policy thing my in-laws have with Sears gives Sears up to two weeks to find a replacement part, we are currently stuck with a washer that can do half loads and needs a towel right there to soak up the water that will escape.

If Sears can't find a replacement part, I think they have to replace the washer (I'm not sure, I'm fuzzy on the details and we weren't here when the Sears' guy came and talked to them about it all). I get that a free washer is better than paying for a washer, but a washer without a hole in it is better than one that has a hole in it and a new washer could be delivered faster than a week or two while Sears searches for a part. But it's not my house and these are not my decisions, so I'm not going to ask about it. It wouldn't do any good anyway.

So, tonight I'm doing several half loads of laundry, trying to get all my clothes clean so that we can pack up and take a trip this weekend (we're going to Meno, OK, for a marriage enrichment seminar). I'm not sure it's going to be exciting, but it gets us away from the in-laws for 2 nights, so it's worth it to me.

No comments: