Wednesday, May 30, 2007

It Is Well with My Soul

Ace and I went to church tonight. I love our church. It is big, which is not part of what I love right now other than the fact that it is still growing, and has a wonderful system set up for the children, which will be more important when I have some. We heard a message about not letting Satan stop our prayers, and I'm pretty sure I've heard that message before (but I'll take the reminder). I've been singing hymns from a hymnal I have (independently bought). And the song that still hits me the most is the song It Is Well with My Soul. This was a song, if the story I remember hearing about it correctly, that was written by a man who lost his children (and almost lost his wife) to a storm at sea when they were crossing an ocean. He wrote the song right after being told by the captain of the ship he was sailing on (after they died) that they had reached the spot where his children were lost. I love this song. It is one of my favorites. There is so much hope in the song, which makes me wonder what went through his mind when he wrote it after being reminded of the tragedy that happened in his family.

My favorite part is when the song talks about all my sin being nailed to the cross so it isn't mine anymore. This reminds me, each time I sing it, why I have hope in my life. And the refrain fits my current state really well; it is well with my soul.

Well, I'm off to sing this song at least one more time before I do some crossword puzzles and head to bed.

TTFN!

No comments: