Saturday, February 9, 2008

Memories, Mostly Misty But Not Watercolored

Or, I'm Thinking of What my Life Was Like in the 80s and early 90s.

Way back when I was turning 6 (1986), I remember that my friends and I were concerned about Baby Jessica (that's still what I think of her as, even though I've heard she's grown up, gotten married, and living a life out of the public eye as much as possible). She was down the well, and in fact got pulled out during my 6th birthday party.

My dad recently revealed that he and my mom weren't happy that all of us little girls wanted to watch, just in case something bad happened, but we were so adamant that we watch (or at least I was) that they gave in and let us. In fact, my mother was waiting in the kitchen with my cake, candles lit, until after Baby Jessica was rescued (which means she missed it because roughly 5 5-and-6 year-olds made her wait). It's one of the earliest clear memories I have.

From what I can tell, based on my vast exploring of 1 website, I didn't have the same experiences as most other kids growing up in the 80s. My family didn't have cable (so, I didn't get to see MTV, ever, or Nickelodeon, unless we were at someone else's house). I didn't have any gaming systems (although I think I've played an Atari before, I'm just not sure).

But I had lots of My Little Ponies, Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcakes, Barbies, Babysitter's Club books, and Judy Blume books. Not really deprived, and I guess I'd never shown any interest in game systems (I did want cable, and I'm sure my parents knew that, they just didn't care), until I got a Game Boy when I was about 12 or 13 (it had a clear cover, but was somewhat brick like in look and size).

I can remember when it became popular in 6th grade for girls to get pacifiers and suck on them. That was one thing my parents forbid, so I didn't have one (and was frustrated by it). But I did have jelly shoes, which I suppose made up for it.

Well, I think I've shared enough misty memories for now. Maybe I'll mention more sometime in the future.

TTFN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA... I had a pacifier!! Didnt have cable though and still dont! We had an atari and a Nintendo but were only allowed educational games. ~Crazy