Thursday, June 24, 2010

Faith

I don't often talk about my religious beliefs. Mostly because I feel like it's one of those topics that is better left alone in general. It's too personal to me to open myself up to just anyone and risk their censure of what I feel is the truth.

That said, I am a Christian. I've gone to a church for most of my life, and would be now if it weren't one of the only times Ace and I get to be fully alone (which usually leads to sex). When we get out of here, we'll go back to going to church, either in person or online.

I enjoy reading different versions of the Bible to see what they each say. So far, my favorite version is the Amplified Bible. I like the extra details that are put in to clarify things. It's a good reminder that the Hebrew or Greek words had a bigger meaning than a lot of the English words do.

I know several verses by heart, but don't know the reference to go with it on all of them. I know that "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word," but I'm not fully sure where that is in the New Testament (Romans?). I know that some of the best conversations I have with Ace are about the Bible, something that thrills me. I like having a husband I can talk to about what I believe, who will challenge me to grow with him spiritually instead of leaving me to find faith by myself.

I am not ashamed of my faith, but I'm protective of it. It's not fragile, most of it having been formed during hard times filled with struggles necessitating strong faith, but it's intensely personal and I've learned to protect that which is personal.

I believe that what Jesus said (all that stuff in red, if you have a red letter Bible) is still as true today as it was when Jesus said it. I believe that I should try to be like Jesus, but that doesn't mean that I need to give up my laptop/car/technology/indoor plumbing/etc. I believe that new technology can be used to spread the Gospel, even if it's not the first thing that it's used for.

I have faith, but I don't normally talk about it. Maybe it's time to start. Maybe it's time to show another side of myself.

No comments: