Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Brief History of Cramps

Or: Sometimes It Sucks to be a Girl

WARNING: This may be a little graphic. Sorry, but I need to get this off my chest (or would that be my uterus?). Also, I don't know why I feel the need to share this now, but I am.

On the first day of my period (thankfully, a day that was roughly a week ago for me), I get cramps. Bad ones. Make me want to curl into a ball and cry ones.

Unless I take Midol at the first sign that I've moved past minor spotting to the full on start of my period. Then, it usually kills the pain before it starts.

When I was a teenager, I wouldn't think of taking something to kill the pain. Which always made shopping look interesting. One minute, I'd be browsing at my normal height, then next I would be crouched down and walking at that level (it did seem to drop the level of pain, at the time). Of course, as a teenager it didn't seem likely that stretching those hurting muscles would help make them stop hurting either.

Because of these bad cramps, I've learned to keep Midol in stock in my house and to move some near where I'll be when I first start noticing signs that my period is definitely going to start soon (like, spotting). I've also learned that on the first day of my period, I should wear the loosest pants I can.

So, yeah. Some days it sucks being a girl. But, one day a month isn't that bad, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No....from a fellow cramp-sufferer, it IS that bad. Although, having my uterus/ovaries/fallopian tubes rearranged has really helped matters. Not that I recommend it...