Friday, I tried to vacuum up the dog hair from the living room. Only, there didn't seem to be any change in the floor (other than some obvious vacuum cleaner lines). Since our vacuum is bagless, I thought that it must be the filter being caked with dirt that was causing the issues.
So, we bought a new filter for the vacuum cleaner yesterday, and I tried vacuuming the carpet today. Only, I still had a problem with not getting anything up.
So, I look at the bottom of the vacuum cleaner, to see if the tube is blocked down there. Other than a lot of dog hair caught in the wheels, there isn't anything obviously keeping the vacuum from working.
Then, I noticed the part of the tube that attaches to the canister. It's full of dog hair, maybe that's the problem.
On the plus side, it's only attached to the vacuum by two screws, so I can easily remove it and try to fix the problem and then reattach it.
On the minus side, I really don't have anything to easily stick in this tube to get all the hair out. So, I grab a metal hanger (it wasn't being used, and was oddly the only purely metal hanger we have) and I straighten it out as much as possible and use it to clear out the hair. And, I quickly reattach the hose.
Then, I use the vacuum again, trying to actually get my floors cleaner, only to notice that it's clogged up again. So, I get to do this whole thing all over again.
On the plus side, there isn't a dog to add more dog hair to the floor and make this a continual problem in the future. And, I didn't have to just buy an new vacuum.
But, I did get rather dirty trying to fix the problem. And I didn't get around to folding and putting away my laundry today, because after working on the vacuum twice, my back was done with housework for the day.
Oh the joys of cleaning house!