Friday, January 16, 2009

Quick Turn Around

I know I just asked for suggestions, but then I read some things that got my brain working and wanting to write.

1. Emma Thompson rocks! She is proud to be a normal sized woman (not someone who fits into a size 2 and feels fat because of it). Plus, she is a really good actress. And she's good at adapting books into movies. Basically, she really rocks! And she looks great for someone who is 50 (and she's still acting as a romantic lead!).

2. There are men out there who feel that it is okay to poke fun at famous women who have normal body sizes. The ones who are curvy and not rail-thin. They try to claim that these women should be spending hours in the gym working off their curves because they don't look like every other woman in Hollywood. These guys are jerks.

Because of these two things, I started thinking of how women are seen. I know that I need to lose weight, my belly is obviously not appropriate on my body and my thighs could stand to shed some weight too. I'm not happy to be in a size 14 jeans (although, I did find out that I need to wear petite in size 14 to not be too long for my legs and I don't know how I feel about this).

But, when I am in a size 10 (which is what I wore when Ace and I got married), I feel sexy. I have curves and I'm proud of those curves. My hips are made for having babies and my chest is made for providing nourishment. Those things make me proud of my curves. The fact that those curves are part of what attracted my husband to me (and help keep him interested) makes me appreciate them all the more. I understand that thin is in, but not every woman was built to be thin. I was built for curves. My body was designed to have a landscape to it. And that is something that I think should be represented more in movies and on TV. We need to show everyone, but especially young girls that it is normal to have curves and not diet yourself to thinness just because that is some what celebrities do.

These thoughts make me wonder what all I'll have to tell any girls I have. How loud will I have to speak to let them know that just because Hollywood and magazines tell them that they should be as tiny as they can be that it's okay to have a curvy body, it's natural, normal, and it won't stop them from finding love? And can't we change what is being said by Hollywood and those magazines now, before I have to struggle with this problem, when I'm the only one who I have to say these things to?

Marilyn Monroe was a size 10 (at least, that's what I've read) and she was a sex symbol. If 10 is good enough for Marilyn, it's good enough for me.

Besides, curvy women are extremely sexy (at least, that's what Ace says).

TTFN!

P.S.: "No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they're pretty. Even if they aren't." - Marilyn Monroe

No comments: