Thursday, March 12, 2009

Focus

Sometimes, I think I focus on the wrong things.

For example, sometimes I focus on what I see are my flaws. I focus on how those things are wrong or bad or whatever it is that they seem to be. If I do this too long, I start feeling like I've drifted away from me and I realize just how much the words of the past are still affecting me.

Sometimes, I focus on the right things.

Some days, I focus on other people. I focus on what I can do for them, even if they never know that I am around. I focus love on them and try to ease their burden, even if it's just by reading what they wrote and sharing their pain so it is lessened. Sometimes, I share with them my thoughts, as knowing that we aren't the only ones going though something less than pleasant helps.

I try to see the right things. I try to focus on them. Because focusing on those things keeps me from drifting towards other people's wrong expectations of who I am and what that means.

I'm trying to break out of my own expectations of the labels I give things. To see people as they are and who they are trying to be instead of as a label. To focus on walking in love and easing others' burdens. To be who God wants me to be.

But, I am a work in progress. I'm not perfect. I mess up.

And I'm still trying to be okay with those last three facts. To incorporate them into my view of myself. To not get too disappointed when I make a mistake or take a misstep. Because I need to not be so hard on myself, or I'm focusing on the wrong things.

Today, I will focus on the right things. I'll focus on the things I'm grateful for. I'll focus on how Ace and I can help each other out.

And, I think I'll focus on making some garlic bread. Because that sounds yummy.

TTFN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And that is why you are a rockstar.

I find myself every few months realizing I have lost focus (again) and need to get back on track. Part of being a willy-nilly human, I think.

I hope the garlic bread focus turns out yums.