Saturday, March 14, 2009

Stress Less

Yesterday was an example in dealing with stress for me.

To be perfectly frank, I was wishing to sink into a bottle of alcohol to forget what was happening around me by noon. That desire had me promising myself not to drink if at all possible (I stayed completely sober, and tried to find less stressful things to surround myself with.

Around 10:30 yesterday morning, Ace and I went to get a new tire put on our car to replace the one that shredded itself off on the way to jury duty. We got there and found it would be at least an hour before we could leave. While they were changing the tire, they discovered that we needed some work done to the car.

When we got home, we discovered that Guillermo decided to throw a fit by getting into the trash. Ace cleaned up the mess while I focused on breathing and relaxing my body. Ace then did some research on what needs to be fixed on the car, and found it should be quick and inexpensive to fix.

None of the events of yesterday were particularly stressful in and of themselves, but when added to all the other stress (especially from jury duty this week) I felt the need to drink or crawl into bed for the rest of the day (I did head to the bed to relax and watch some James Bond).

Because of the mounting frustration yesterday, I've decided to stress less. I recognize that I probably won't be able to get fully stress free, but I can work on not stressing myself out. I can work on stopping for a moment when I'm feeling frustrated and breathe for a few moments until my stress level drops. Because I know that nothing good will come from continuing to carry around the stress.

TTFN!

P.S.: I haven't expressly been trying to have nothing but serious posts lately, but I guess I've been in a reflective mood and that has come out in my posts. Maybe soon, I'll be posting about something on the lighter side of life.

No comments: