Friday, April 18, 2008

The Soundtrack of My Life

I was thinking earlier that my life seems to have certain songs that seem more important at the time than others.

2 years ago, when I was somewhat searching for a reason to finally cut a good portion of the ties with my mother, it was "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash. I felt like that relationship was imprisoning me. Not a pretty picture, I know, but that's where I was.

Right now, I guess my song would be back to "The Dance" by Garth Brooks (my soundtrack is almost always country music, because that is mostly what I listen to). It's a good reminder to me that while I'd like to go back and change the things that made me hurt, I really wouldn't want to change all the good things that happened along the way that would definitely change with changing the bad.

Sometimes, the song that sticks out is "Naked" by Avril Lavigne. Mostly, that's how I feel around Ace. He makes me feel like I've stripped off whatever I've got for protection, and I'm finally seeing me again. I find it comforting to know he cares deeply for me and it helps keep me from feeling extremely vulnerable. I know that he won't attack me, so I can fully let my guard down.

For several years, before I met Ace, my song seemed to be "Someone Else's Star" by Bryan White. I felt like I was doing everything I could to find the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with but everyone else was finding their person instead. It was hard, because no matter how happy I was for others, I was hurting and trying not to be jealous (I'm glad I waited though).

So, what songs are on the soundtrack of your life?

No comments: