Thursday, June 28, 2007

Al Gore Wants to Destroy My Logical Thinking

Tonight, Ace and I watched An Inconvenient Truth. In it Al Gore wants to destroy whatever it is that keeps people from believing what he is saying about Global Warming. And what is keeping me from believing it is my logical thinking. I looked at a lot of the same graphs he did and had a very different opinion of what they said (at least the ones that were actually readable). I saw a very clear cycle in how the earth warms and cools. Ace and I don't really have problems with most of the ways to lower our impact, we want energy efficient appliances and hybrid cars to save us money. We like those ideas. And we think mass public transportation is a good thing. But, we don't believe that there is really the problem that Gore is trying to paint here. And we saw him try to win sympathy with stories from his life that show pain and upset. I'm not happy that his sister died from smoking or that his child was injured by a car (I am giving him the small benefit of the doubt that these things actually occurred, because I know he lies about things). But that doesn't mean that he's telling the truth about what is going on with the earth in regards to the weather.

I say all this to say I'm for us doing good things for the environment, but I'm not going to run around or worry that we're going to be halfway under water because of melting ice caps in the next couple of years. My feeling is that the inconvenient truth for Mr. Gore is that he likes the idea of saving the country or the world and he is causing a lot of fear in a lot of people unnecessarily. I don't want to debate the topic, and I'm sure it's not a fully popular one, but I've now given my opinion on the subject.

Well, I've said a lot of things, but I think I've said everything I need to.

TTFN!

No comments: